Monday, October 13, 2008

Characters




Mithi's world is currently a very busy place with projects left right and center. But I just wanted to put in an update to show that things ARE progressing, albeit very slowly...

After some discussion with the tutor, I've gone down the 'boardgame' route with my 'Word and Image' module; interpreting The Curios Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. The main character really likes games and puzzles and it seemed quite appropriate to represent the story as a game, like Cluedo. So that's what I've been doing. I'm making cards to represent all the main characters, and will hopefully have a few more bits-and-bobs that go into a box that I need to design, and also an actual game board. The idea is to make it visually hang together (going for a 50s feel); but I'm not going to try and make it actually playable - that would just take up too much time. When its all done I'll set it up as if people are playing the game and take some photos and convert them to double page spreads (as that's what the final outcome needs to be)

Above are some initial attempts at drawing up the characters - the colours and what they're doing are based on things from the book (Christopher loves RED and wants to be an astronaut and go away into space with his pet rat Toby). Its early days yet, and I'm feeling a bit "artists blocked" about the game board ... but will get there eventually ...

4 comments:

pearl said...

AWESOME! Yippee!

which reminds me.. I have to do work!

Syar said...

They look like they've come out of an old illustrated children's book! Love it. And the board game idea sounds super cool. Good luck!

Carole said...

You always have such innovative ideas! I look forward to seeing the final piece - these are very promising.

suzanne cabrera said...

I'm SO in love with these illustrations and the idea that is forming.