Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Self portraits 28 - 30

Whoopee!!!! Finished!!!! I must say I've really enjoyed this and may now force myself to do weekly or monthly (more realistic!) self portraits as a way of trying out different techniques and media.

Number 28, very experimental - I saw someone do this somewhere and wanted to have a go. This is a print of a photo that has been then worked over with acrylics and ink (you can still see some of the photo through the paint). I'm not completely sure about it as its not very me, but it was an interesting process anyways to work out how to carve up the face into sections...


Quink ink wash, then bleach to highlight. I'd forgotten how much I love this technique - something I picked up several years ago, and should do more often.


And the piece-de-resistance, number 30, 'Mithi the thinker' complete with cogs and a light bulb! Acrylics on board plus a few other bits and bobs. I wanted to make the cogs out of some more sturdier material - I gave up as cutting the board (which would have been ideal), would have taken too long - I've got to hand all of this in first thing tomorrow morning! - but I might still come back to it and make them more solid in the future.


Part of the project was also to make a collage of parts of the portraits - since I've been scanning them all in, I decided to do it digitally, rather than chop up bits of my hard work. It also means I could resize the parts to my hearts content till everything felt right ...


All I can say is if I didn't already know my own face intimately before, I sure do now!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed your project - and can see how working in a series really opens up the creative flow. Great job! By the way, the masks are really interesting.
Shirley

Laurel Neustadter said...

I also enjoy have been enjoying your self-portraits. They are very inspiring. You have been very creative with them.

suzanne cabrera said...

Wow, wow, wow...I'm just more and more impressed. You've really inspired me to get back into self-portraits. These are just amazing.

I especially like Dr. Mithi!

Happy Valentine's Day!

sue bulmer said...

Wow, I'm well-impressed! This is an amazing collection of work. I really wish I was on this course, it sounds fab.

sunburn said...

suka!!! the bleached one was my favourite this time. well done sayang!

Anonymous said...

WEll I have to say, visiting your blog really made my day and this self portrait project is just fabulous. I think you showed in this series that you really took to heart what you understand from your crit:
"I don't 'play' enough with it ... They basically WANT me to be a bit playful and obscure and make connections that other people wouldn't have."

You definitely PLAYED with this project and showed such creativity. Have you given any thought to publishing your blog as a book? I would so love to have a copy of it! You've done such a wonderful job of sharing your art school education and your exciting work. I don't know how you find the time to do the art work and blog it but I'm so glad you do!

Anonymous said...

wow you finished them all? Amazing group of drawings. Sometimes pressue really drives your creativity.

Carole said...

No28 reminds me of Lyn Hershman Leeson's work, which might be where you saw it.

Great work on these - I love the variety. I'd struggle to think of 30 different things to do!