Saturday, January 27, 2007

Dr Sketchy's Anti Art School

Yup, you heard me right - earlier this month, my sister found this while netsurfing and sent the link to me. Looking through the website I realised that they had also started doing a franchise in London. I asked around and managed to find a bunch of my coursemates who all thought it would be a laugh to go along to one of their sessions - so off we went this morning.

Our model for the day was the lovely Red Sarah, and the host of the show was the wonderful Dusty Limits(!) Like Sunshine commented later, these aren't my finest works, but I had a laugh and enjoyed myself (and got quite drunk! Thanks to my bunch of lovely ladies for the drinks!), so its alright ...

We started of with a mini burlesque routine by Red Sarah - she was dressed up as Miss Piggy, complete with piggy nose, and Kermit shaped nipple tassels! Then a few quick sketches - first a blind contour drawing, then one with our eyes shut, one with our right hand, and one with our left hand.





Alcohol break, the some longer drawings - but with instructions! Firstly to imagine Red Sarah as a piece of furniture - ah, see my chaise lounge ..., as a kitchen utensil - both Laura and I went for egg-beaters, and then as an item of food - somehow the model reminded me of jello ...

Then it was, "Draw Red Sarah sewing a technicolour dream coat", and to help us along, the host had us all singing the tune too ...


By this point I was a bit annoyed that I hadn't yet really been given an opportunity to really draw the model, so I made up my mind that whatever the next set of instructions were, I would pay more attention to my life drawing, and less to the imaginary bit - the instructions were, "Draw Red Sarah meeting the Queen and Prince Phillip".



Finally we were given a chance to just draw Red Sarah and her surroundings.
Like I said, these are not my best work, but I have managed to take some photos which I will hopefully use to do some PROPER life drawings. It was a great afternoon out - BIG THANKS to Laura, Rosie, Nicky, Ros, Julia, Lorna and Ruth for coming along and buying me drinks, and winning prizes and being generally good sports!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a hoot!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is crazy! I can only imagine how much fun it must have been! The costumes alone would be great to draw. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I just saw that site about a week ago and it looks like a great creative outlet. Glad you got a chance to try it.