Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Whitechapel Art Gallery

Spring term Week 7 at Art School

Week 7 will come in chunks - firstly I've been in college yesterday and today working on loosening up my drawings and working on a larger scale. Tutor John said to use cheap material so that I felt less inhibited (of wasting a perfectly beautiful expensive piece of good quality white paper). So I grabbed hold of some newsprint and looked round for something to do on it. I realised that I had a great view of the Whitechapel Art Gallery from the window at the back of the room. So I set up a board on the window sill, and a chair for me to stand on (the bottom of the window is frosted so that was the only viable way to do it). First I had a go at doing a large quick very loose sketch with charcoal; and once I had loosened up I proceeded to draw a still loose, but cleaner version, using a 6B graphite stick. I got it about three-quarters done before it got too dark to see clearly, so I came in this morning and finished it off. I'm quite pleased with the result - its HUGE for my standards, about A1 size, but it has a lot of potential and I'm thinking of doing another piece based on this drawing - just not quite sure what...

The picture above is not very good as the fine pencil lines don't really show up and the light from the window on the left give it a funny glow ... sorry!

The view



The setup - you can even see my reflection in the window...


The first sketch

2 comments:

laserone_ said...

Nice! I love drawing buildings. But with me, I tend to go into "drafter" mode when doing buildings and want it to look like a draftsperson did it. I need to learn to loosen up when doing architecture. Yours if very good. :)

Bitterjug said...

I like the first sketch, great ennergy and scribbly textures. (apparently two words misspelled there but I'm with Mark Twain on spelling) i think i prefer it to the more controlled one you did next. How about doing a bunch using different sorts of materials: chalks, pastels -- really fat ones so you cant draw proper line but have to do the shading -- pen and ink, etc. all on that lovely cheap newsprint paper. Just a thought.